Under article 4.2
paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the present vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their candidature online by the above date.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization.
A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following : availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply :
The Southern Africa Migration Management (SAMM) Project, funded by the European Commission, is a four-year project to improve migration management in the Southern Africa and Indian Ocean region.
The SAMM Project is implemented by the ILO in collaboration with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and the United Nations High Commissariat for Refugees (UNHCR).
The specific objectives (SO) and key results areas (KRA) of the project are as follows :
iii) the Indian Ocean Commission (IOC).
The project focuses on the Southern African Region, and targets the following countries : Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Reporting lines :
The Technical Officer - Labour Migration and Data will report to the Director, ILO Country Office for Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique, and will work under the technical supervision of the Project Manager based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Technical backstopping will be provided by the Labour Migration Specialist, Decent Work Support Team, ILO Pretoria. In addition, the incumbent will receive technical advice and support from the Labour Migration Branch and other units in ILO Geneva.
The position will be based at the COMESA office in Lusaka, Zambia.
Description of Duties
1. Under the supervision of the Project Manager, lead the activities related to the establishment of a Southern African and Indian Ocean migration observatory.
2. Undertake research and prepare analytical reports on selected subjects within the scope of the project activities.
3. Assess country experience with regard to labour migration data and analysis with a view to identifying best practices.
4. Provide technical inputs (articles, reports) for regional, country or related sectoral analyses, ILO reports and publications.
5. Undertake missions for the purpose of providing technical recommendations on selected topics following ILO established guidelines, manuals and standards.
6. Monitor and coordinate research carried out by external collaborators.
7. Participate in training seminars and workshops as resource person.
8. Represent the technical unit at international, regional and national fora.
9. Support the Project Manager in the implementation of the project.
10. Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager or ILO Director.
Required qualifications Education
Advanced university degree in economics, social sciences or related field, with a strong empirical dimension.
Five years of relevant professional experience at the national level and two years at the international level in relation with labour migration issues and statistics including experience working with officials of ministries of labour, education, foreign affairs, statistical departments, social partners and migration institutions and associations.
Record of familiarity with ILO policies and procedures, including development cooperation procedures would be an advantage.
Familiarity with ILO policies and procedures including experience working with officials of ministries of labour and / or education would be an advantage.
Excellent knowledge of English and good knowledge of French and / or Portuguese would be an advantage.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED.
Conditions of employment
In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit :